- Yield : 1
- Servings : 4-5
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 35m
Avial (Aviyal) Recipe
Avial or Aviyal is a traditional side dish served as an accompaniment to rice. It is considered as an essential side dish of a Sadya especially Onam Sadya (a traditional vegetarian banquet). Avial has a unique position in Kerala as well as Tamil cuisine. It is a mixture of all kind of vegetables except soft and pulpy vegetables. You can include or exclude a vegetable, depending on the availability.
- Raw Plantain (Raw banana / നേന്ത്രക്കായ്) - 1 No
- Elephant foot yam (ചേന) - 200 gm
- Drumstick (മുരിങ്ങക്കായ്) - 1 No
- Ash gourd (കുമ്പളങ്ങ) - 150 gm
- Potato (ഉരുളക്കിഴങ്ങ്) - 1 No
- French Beans (Green beans / ബീന്സ്) - 4 Nos
- Snake gourd (പടവലങ്ങ) - 100 gm
- Carrot - 1 No (small)
- Green chilli (പച്ചമുളക്) - 4 Nos
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) - 1 pinch
- Grated coconut (തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത്) - 1 Cup
- Cumin seeds (ജീരകം) - ½ Tea spoon
- Curd (തൈര്) - ½ Cup
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) - 2 Sprigs
- Shallot (ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി) - 5 Nos
- Coconut oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) - 1½ Table spoon
- Water (വെള്ളം) - 1 Cup
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – to taste
Wash the vegetables very well. Peel and cut it into 2 inch (length wise) pieces.
Slice green chillies (length wise).
Cook the vegetables in a covered vessel by adding green chillies, water, salt and turmeric powder on a low flame till it tender and dry (be careful not to overcook it and also take care to prevent it from burning).
Crush the shallots and mix it with coconut oil.
Grind grated coconut and cumin seeds by adding little water into a coarsely paste.
Add the ground paste into the cooked vegetables along with curry leaves and combine it well. Heat it in a low flame for 3 minutes.
Pour lightly beaten curd to this and mix it. Remove from the fire, add coconut oil - shallots mix and combine it.
Serve Avial (Aviyal) as an accompaniment to rice.
As each vegetable has a different level of cooking, it will be better to add vegetables according to the cooking time of each item. That means the longer cooking items first and quicker items last.
Average Member Rating
(3.6 / 5)
8 people rated this recipe
Main nutritional contents are,
1 Table spoon = 3 Tea spoons
1 Dessert spoon = 2 Tea spoons
1 Tea spoon = 5 ml
1 Cup = 236.588 ml