- Yield : 1
- Servings : 5-6
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 35m
Kadala curry and Puttu, is the most famous food combination in Kerala breakfast. Kadala curry is prepared in many distinctive ways based on how the coconut is added. Coconut can be added in the form of ground paste, ground roasted paste or as coconut milk. Here we are going to prepare this recipe by adding coconut as ground roasted paste. Hope you will like it.
- Kadala/ Chickpeas (കടല) – 1 Cup
- Shallot (ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി) - 6 Nos
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) - 1 Inch piece
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) - 5 Cloves
- Grated coconut (തേങ്ങ ചിരണ്ടിയത്) - 1 Cup
- Coriander powder (മല്ലിപ്പൊടി) - 2 Table Spoon
- Chilli powder (മുളകുപൊടി) - ½ Table spoon
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) - 1 Pinch
- Garam Masala (ഗരം മസാല) - ½ Tea spoon
- Coconut Oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) - 3 Table Spoon
- Mustard seeds (കടുക്) - ½ Tea Spoon
- Dry red chillies (വറ്റല്മുളക്) - 2 Nos
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) - 1 Sprig
- Water (വെള്ളം) - 4 Cups
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – To taste
Soak kadala (chickpeas) in water for minimum 8 hours and drain it.
Pressure cook kadala by adding 4 cup of water and salt. When you hear the first whistle, reduce the flame to medium and wait for 3 more whistles. Turn off the fire and wait till the pressure settles. (Do not drain it)
Chop shallots, ginger and garlic and keep aside.
Heat 1 table spoon of coconut oil in a pan and put garlic, shallots, ginger and grated coconut one by one. Stir it until the coconuts turns brown. Add garam masala, coriander, chilli and turmeric powders into it. Stir it for 2 more minutes. Remove from the flame and let it cool.
Grind the roasted coconut using a mixer grinder without adding water.
Add the ground mix to the cooked kadala and let it boil. Taste for salt.
Heat 2 table spoon of coconut oil in a pan and put mustard seeds. When it splutters, put broken dry red chillies and curry leaves into it and saute it. Add this to the prepared kadala curry and transfer to the serving dish.
1) If you want more thick gravy, grind 4 table spoon cooked kadala and add to the curry.
2) Adjust the spices according to your taste.
4) If you don’t have garam masala you can use vegetable masala/meat masala/chicken masala as an alternate.
3) Tomato (1 No) can be added for sour taste.
Average Member Rating
(4 / 5)
1 people rated this recipe
Main nutritional contents are,
1 Table spoon = 3 Tea spoons
1 Dessert spoons = 2 Tea spoons
1 Tea spoons = 5 ml
1 Cup = 236.588 ml