Kerala Fish Curry2012-05-19
- Yield : 1
- Servings : 4-5
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 35m
Kerala Fish Curry / Meen Curry – without coconut
Kerala fish curry or Meen curry can be prepared in many ways. Here you can try a traditional fish curry recipe without using coconut or coconut milk. This dish is also called as toddy shop fish curry. Fish is a good source of nutritional contents like Omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, minerals and vitamins. Usually Kerala fish curry (meen curry) is prepared in open mouthed earthenware pot for better taste. It can be prepared by adding coconut or without using coconut.
- Fish (any) - ½ kg
- Kashmiri Chilli powder (കാശ്മീരി മുളകുപൊടി) - 2½ Table spoon
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) - 1 Pinch
- Kukum star(കുടംപുളി) - 3 Pieces
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) - 1 Inch Piece
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) - 6 Cloves
- Shallot (ചെറിയ ഉള്ളി) - 6 Nos
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) - 1 Sprig
- Fenugreek seeds (ഉലുവ) - ½ Tea Spoon
- Mustard seeds (കടുക്) - ½ Tea Spoon
- Coconut Oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) - 2½ Table Spoon
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – to taste
Clean the fish and keep aside.
Soak kukum star in 2 cup of water with little salt added in it.
Chop shallot, ginger and garlic finely.
Kashmiri chilli powder and turmeric powder should be made as a paste adding little water.
Heat 2 table spoon coconut oil in a cooking pan (recommends open mouthed earthenware pot), put mustard and fenugreek seeds. When it splutters, to this add finely chopped shallot, ginger & garlic and stir well.
When it becomes golden brown, reduce the flame and put chilli and turmeric powder paste into it. Stir it well in a very low heat for few minutes (till the oil starts appearing).
Add socked kukum star and water to the pan and allow to boil.
When it boils put fish and add salt to taste.
Reduce the flame and cook till done (it takes 10 to 15 minutes). When it is done add curry leaves and ½ table spoon coconut oil & remove from the flame after 1 minute.
Kerala fish curry is ready. Let the curry remains in the cooking pan for a few hours, allowing all the spices to steep into the fish.
1) Don’t stir once fish is cooked
2) Remember to spoon the Kukum star (Kudampuli) pieces out after few hours
Average Member Rating
(4.2 / 5)
26 people rated this recipe
Main nutritional contents are,
Omega-3 fatty acids
1 Table spoon = 3 Tea spoons
1 Dessert spoon = 2 Tea spoons
1 Tea spoon = 5 ml
1 Cup = 236.588 ml