- Yield : 1
- Servings : 5-6
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 35m
Pepper chicken – one of the simple and easy chicken preparations. It goes well with almost all prime dishes like rice, chappathi, appam etc. The main ingredient of this recipe, as its name says, is black pepper. Here we use freshly crushed black pepper for better flavor and aroma.
- Chicken - 1 kg
- Crushed black pepper (കുരുമുളകുപൊടി) - 2¼ Table Spoon
- Lemon juice (നാരങ്ങാനീര്) - 1 Table spoon
- Onion (സവോള) - 3 Nos
- Tomato (തക്കാളി) - 1 No
- Ginger (ഇഞ്ചി) - 2 Inch piece
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) - 6 Cloves
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) - 2 Sprigs
- Coriander powder (മല്ലിപ്പൊടി) - 1 Table Spoon
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി) - ½ Tea spoon
- Garam Masala (ഗരം മസാല) - 1 Tea spoon
- Cooking oil (എണ്ണ) - 3 Table spoon
- Water (വെള്ളം) - ½ Cup
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) - To taste
Cut the chicken into medium size pieces and clean it well.
Marinate chicken pieces with 2 table spoon of crushed black pepper, turmeric powder (½ tea spoon), lemon juice and salt for minimum 30 minutes.
Chop onion, tomato, ginger and garlic.
Heat 3 table spoon of cooking oil in a pan (preferably non-stick). Put garlic, ginger & onion and saute it on a medium flame.
When it turns golden brown, reduce the flame to low, add coriander powder (1 table spoon) and garam masala (1 tea spoon). Stir it for 1 minute.
To this, add marinated chicken pieces, curry leaves and chopped tomato. Stir it occasionally for 5 minutes on a medium flame. Add ½ cup of water and cook it covered till done.
Open the lid and continue cooking for few minutes to make the gravy thick (take care to prevent it from burning). Add ¼ table spoon crushed black pepper and combine it.
Transfer the Pepper Chicken to the serving dish and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves.
1) You can use pepper powder instead of crushed pepper. But I strongly recommend to use freshly crushed black pepper for the better taste.
2) If you don’t have garam masala add ½ table spoon chicken masala as an alternative.
3) To avoid raw odour of chicken, 1 table spoon of vinegar or lemon juice can be used, when cleaning the chicken.
Average Member Rating
(3.8 / 5)
15 people rated this recipe
Main nutritional contents are,
1 Table spoon = 3 Tea spoons
1 Dessert spoon = 2 Tea spoons
1 Tea spoon = 5 ml
1 Cup = 236.588 ml