- Yield : 2
- Servings : 4-8
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 40m
Vattayappam / Steamed Rice Cake
Vattayappam is a kind of steamed rice cake commonly served as a snack or breakfast. The main ingredients of this dish are rice flour and coconut milk. It is one of the traditional-healthy food of Kerala. Vattayappam is prepared especially during Easter and Christmas days.
- Fine rice flour (നന്നായി പൊടിച്ച അരിപ്പൊടി) - 4 Cups
- Warm water (ചെറു ചൂടുവെള്ളം) - ½ Cup
- Water (വെള്ളം) - 2 Cups
- Coconut milk (തേങ്ങ പാല്) - 1½ Cup
- Yeast (Active dry yeast) - ½ Tea spoon
- Sugar (പഞ്ചസാര) - ¾ Cup
- Cardamom (ഏലക്ക) - 5 Nos
- Garlic (വെളുത്തുള്ളി) - 1 Clove
- Ghee (നെയ്യ്) - 2 Tea spoon
- Cashew nut (കശുവണ്ടി) -15 Nos
- Raisins (ഉണക്ക മുന്തിരി) - 20 Nos
- Cherry - 5 Nos (optional)
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – To taste
Dissolve yeast in ½ cup of warm water (make sure that the water is not too hot) along with ½ table spoon of sugar and let sit for 30 minutes until it is frothy.
Crush cardamom and garlic separately and keep aside.
Mix 2 table spoon of rice flour with 2 cups of water and boil it for 5 minutes by stirring it. Keep aside and let it cool.
Add this to the remaining rice flour along with yeast dissolved water, coconut milk, sugar, cardamom, garlic and salt. Mix it well in a mixer grinder. (The batter should be thick in consistency like idly batter)
Keep it overnight (8 hours) in a warm place for fermentation.
Spread evenly gee in a flat pan or an idli mould and pour the batter into it (fill up to half the pan).
Garnish it with cashew nut, raisins and cherry (optional).
Steam it (like idli) for 20 minutes in a medium heat. (close the lid only after the water starts boiling).
When it is done, remove from the flame and let it cool. Cut the vattayappam into desired shapes and serve it with a cup of tea/coffee.
1) As the batter quantity increases during fermentation, use a vessel which can hold almost double the quantity.
2) Fine rice flour is mandatory for vattayappam (You can use idiyappam or appam rice flour, but puttu rice flour is not ideal for this dish).
Average Member Rating
(3.8 / 5)
26 people rated this recipe
Main nutritional contents are,
1 Table spoon = 3 Tea spoons
1 Dessert spoon = 2 Tea spoons
1 Tea spoon = 5 ml
1 Cup = 236.588 ml