Vendakka Mezhukkupuratti / Okra (Lady’s Finger) Stir Fry
- Okra / Lady’s finger (വെണ്ടയ്ക്ക) – 10 Nos
- Thinly sliced Coconut (തേങ്ങാക്കൊത്ത്) – ¼ Cup (Optional)
- Pepper powder (കുരുമുളകുപൊടി) – 1 Tea Spoon
- Onion (സവോള) – 1 No
- Curry leaves (കറിവേപ്പില) – 1 Sprig
- Turmeric powder (മഞ്ഞള്പൊടി ) – 1 Pinch
- Coconut Oil (വെളിച്ചെണ്ണ) – 3 Table spoon
- Mustard seeds (കടുക്) – ½ Tea Spoon
- Salt (ഉപ്പ്) – to taste
- Wash the Okra (Lady’s Finger) very well and slice it into 1 inch pieces. (See images in the bottom of this page)
- Slice coconut and onion and keep aside.
- Heat 3 table spoon of coconut oil in a non-stick pan and put mustard seeds. When it splutters, to this add onion and coconut slices. Saute it till the onions turn golden brown.
- Put turmeric powder and ½ tea spoon black pepper powder into it and stir well. To this add Okra (Lady’s Finger), curry leaves and salt. Combine well and cook it covered (about 8 minutes) on low flame till done.
- Open the lid, add remaining ½ tea spoon pepper powder and cook it for 1-2 minutes to make it dry. Stir it occasionally. Taste for salt.
- Remove from the flame and transfer the vendakka mezhukkupuratti to the serving dish.
Author: Shaan Geo
Myself, Shaan Geo basically a Software Engineer started my career in IT Industry. I have had a passion for food and cooking from an early age. This habit made me keep an eye out for the new variants of food and the different cuisines where ever I go. According to me cooking is an equal-opportunity talent and I find that anybody can cook. It is not limited by the age, profession, caste, colour or creed of a person. What is needed is the love for cooking. For me passion for cooking does not stop in the kitchen, when I travel, I continue to be inspired by eating in some of the best restaurants around the world.